Friday, December 5, 2008

A Leason in Giving than Getting


Christmas, wow I love the ring of that. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday every since I was little bitty. My Dad goes all out for Christmas and buys gifts all year around for this very special day. However I have a fond memory about a certain Christmas that was about 3 years ago. Were I learned that giving was greater than receiving. Janet Word had called my mom and said that the elementary school is giving 5 families $500 to shop for a needy family in our town. My mom explained and told what was going on and who our family was. I also learned that there was a girl in my grade that was part of this family. My mother and I took our car to Amarillo and went to Target to find gifts to make their Christmas the best it could be. I took special pride in picking out things for each person, and picturing how they would react when they open the gifts. After each member in the family had a couple of gifts of their own we headed back to Childress. Christmas Eve came and it was time to load up all the gifts and take it to our family. My dad had dressed up in a Santa Clause suit and was going to hand out the gifts. We pulled up to the small whited chipped house that was leaned to the side and dropped off my dad. Then pull up along side of another house to watch threw the warm golden window. It happened to be one of the sweetest most saddest thing I have ever witnessed as all these little girls are running up to my dad with warm sparkling eyes to see what dear old saint nick had brought them. After my dad was done he jogged back to the car and turned to my mother and I and he told us what all they had to said to him. He said that the littlest girl looked at him and whispered in a soft milotone voice " I love you Santa". As these words crossed threw my mind I realized that giving was much better than receiving.

No comments: